We got back from our whirlwind adventure in Sri Lanka and Vietnam a little over a week ago. It was spectacular. We climbed 5th century AD kingdoms, saw ALL the buddhas (and brought one home!) and ate the most amazing, other-worldly good food.
And while some of the food we ate was fresh and green and full of nutrients…
…many other things we ate were fried, or ice cream, or filled with additives (protip: NEVER eat the airplane food, especially the meat. Bring your own snacks.)
Part of traveling means eating the local food, drinking the local drink (Arak-or fermented coconut nectar- in Sri Lanka, rice wine or fresh beer in Vietnam). We wouldn’t do anything differently- except ditch the airplane food. The rest was worth every delicious calorie, every incredible memory created through smell and taste.
Naturally, now that we’re home, we’re ready to feel healthy again. We’ve been drinking a LOT of these smoothies- in part because they’re easy to make, yummy, and we feel amazing after we drink them, and partly because we still have a CSA and are getting more greens than we know what to do with!
There’s no hard recipe to this smoothie- use whatever finds its way into your basket at the farmers market. As a guideline:
- 1/2 cup creamy base (kefir, yogurt, avocado)
- 1 cup liquid (coconut water, almond milk, water, etc.)
- 1-2 fruits, as much as you want (strawberries, bananas, raspberries, frozen mangoes, blueberries…)
- 1-2+ cups greens (lettuce, kale, spinach…)
- + any superfood you want to throw in (chia seeds, flax seeds, maca powder, raw cacao, acai berries, etc.)
Blend it as is or with ice if you like it cold. Boom- healthy breakfast in under 5 minutes.